Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lima Beans

My dad gave me a MESS of Lima beans (about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full).  I love to eat Lima beans but hate to shell them so I employed the entire family.  DD2 seems to actually enjoy this chore and never finds an excuse not to help (unusual for a teenager!)  For this I am extremely grateful!  


Even the Lima beans whose shells look bad can yield good beans so don't discriminate.  When we shell beans we lay down newspapers and several plastic garbage bags to catch the shells.  A large bowl goes in the center and the shelled beans are placed there.  
Rinse the beans well several times to remove any grit, dirt or small insects (yum!)

Once all the beans are shelled I par boil them for 3 minutes.
Bring a large container of water to a rolling boil.  Add the beans, allow the water to return to a boil for 3 minutes.  Drain, rinse with cold water and place into clean freezer containers.  I allow the beans to cool to reduce condensation inside the containers which create ice crystals.  I pack in quart containers and leave about an inch of head room.

BEST LIMAs EVER
one container of frozen beans
place in a large pot and cover with water
Add minced onions (dehydrated are fine), 
Sprinkle liberally with garlic powder, Lawrys season salt and add a heaping tablespoon of bacon grease.
Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes, adding water as necessary.  I like my beans DONE!
These can be cooked several days in advance and reheated for dinner.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment