Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Stock the Spice Cabinet

Every cook needs to rely on her spice rack to enhance the flavors of the meals she prepares.  Here are some of the things I CAN'T be without in my spice cabinet. 

I have a corner cupboard that I use--so if your space is smaller, find another location for some of these items (and once opened, some of these items MUST be stored in the refrigerator).  I also store fresh herbs in the freezer if I can’t use them all before they’ll deteriorate.
  sauce
Baking powder
Baking soda
Balsamic Vinegar
Basil
Bay Leaves
Cayenne pepper
Chili Powder
Cinnamon
Cloves, ground
Coriander
Cumin
Garlic Powder (I only use Lawry’s)
Hot sauce
Italian bread crumbs
Lawry’s season salt
Minced Garlic
Nutmeg
Old Bay Seasoning
Onion powder
Onions, dehydrated
Oregano
Oyster sauce
Paprika
Parsley
Pepper corns
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage, rubbed
Salt (Kosher and iodized)
Sesame oil
Soy Sauce
Thyme
Worcester
Yeast
Oil (vegetable and olive)

I have a lot more stuff than this (saffron, lemon grass, etc.) but don’t use them with great regularity.  You’d go broke buying these all at once…so if you are just starting out add a new spice to your spice rack monthly! 

Spices lose their potency over time…so you’ll have to replace periodically to get the most flavor from them.  Purchase the highest quality spices you can afford.  Keep your spices in a cool, dry space (NOT over the stove!) for the best flavor and the longest shelf life.



No comments:

Post a Comment